If music soothes the savage beast, then no one should be afraid to visit Colorado! The Centennial State is home to a wide variety of musical event attractions that feature bluegrass, folk, alternative, pop and classical music, providing entertainment to our music-loving guests of all kinds... and going a long way towards making those so-called 'beasts' a lot less threatening!
Musical events take place all over the state. Sometimes, the events cover both music and, say, beer or art – like some of the festivals covered in our Brewing Culture and Art Show blog topics. With beer, you usually get blues or rock. With art, it can be just about any kind of music, including regional and classical. True to this form, our festivals that specifically celebrate music can cover just about any listening gamut there is!
While we can’t cover every single event, here is a sampling of some of the popular events from all over the state. For information on more musical celebrations, feel free to check the Colorado Festivals page. Some areas actually have a full summer of musical performances that they term “festivals,” not included in this post - contact your bed and breakfast innkeeper to see what is happening in that particular area during the time of your visit. For those events that have already passed this year – fear not – as most of these events are annual celebrations!
- July 8 - 29, 2012 – Music in the Mountains, Durango, CO: Work this into your immediate Colorado vacation! Classical music at its best featuring three weeks of classical and world music orchestra, chamber and conservatory performances and workshops.
- July 21-22, 2012 – Winter Park Jazz Festival, Winter Park, CO: Cool off in the mountains while enjoying some of the Nation’s best jazz artists with food, vendors, and more. The 2012 lineup features Charlie Wilson, David Sanborn & Brian Culbertson, among others!
- August 3-4, 2012 – Music at the Junction, La Junta, CO: Rock, blues, and country by a variety of local performers, and acts from around the country. The 2012 Festival features Molly Hatchet on Saturday night!
- August 3-5, 2012 – CrestFest, Crestone, CO: a multi-genre, multi-cultural event featuring music, food, beer, contest, workshops, and fun for the whole family.
- August 10-12, 2012 - Snap Pea Jamboree Music Festival, Weston, CO: Hosted by the Earth Mountain Education Farm, this solar-powered festival features live music from local performers, campfire jams, craft vendors, workshops, and much, much more!
- August 17-19, 2012 - Rocky Mountain Folks Festival, Lyons, CO: Anticipated by locals a way to finally relax and enjoy summer, this weekend brings music from all over. The 2012 event includes the annual Songwriter Showcase and is pleased to announce that Lyle Lovett will spend part of Sunday with us!
- August 24-26, 2012 – Mountain Music Featival, Manitou Springs, CO: Music (Americana, bluegrass, folk, world, cowboy and gospel music), food, arts and crafts, and childrens activities. Come one, come all!
- August 24-26, 2012 – NedFest, Nederland, CO: So this one could’ve been included in the Brewing Culture post… NedFest is an annual music, arts and micro-brew festival featuring Bluegrass, Jazz, Jamband, Jamgrass, and World Genres. Enjoy a variety of artists including Keller Williams, Kyle Hollingsworth, Steve Kimock, and more.
- September 8, 2012 - Mountain of the Sun Music Festival, Woodland Park, CO: Celebrating American Roots Music through performances, workshops, and more. This year’s festival features the Greencards and at least five other well-known area bands.
- TheMusicFest, Steamboat, CO: This event brings the south to the mountains. Start the New Year off right by attending this almost-weeklong celebration of Texas and Americana music with over 50 shows! 2013 dates have not yet been announced.
- MahlerFest, Boulder, CO: Celebrating the life, times and music of Gustav Mahler (classical composer) during a week of orchestral and vocal concerts, performed by artist who are passionate about this composer’s work.
- High PlainsMusic Fest & Poker Run, Sterling, CO: live music, poker run, beer garden, bike show, and more!
- PalisadeBluegrass and Roots Music Festival, Palisade, CO: Featuring bluegrass and roots music, the festival also features workshops, food, arts and crafts vendors, and more.
- TellurideBluegrass Festival, Telluride, CO: Featuring acts of both local and national fame, the TBF encourages on-stage collaborations between performers. Noted attendees in 2012 included Bela Fleck, Alison Krauss, the Edgar Meyer, John Fogerty, K.D. Lang, and the "King of Telluride" Sam Bush. Stay tuned for the 2013 lineup!
Music, fun, and more is waiting for you in Colorado! Check out our music festival specials and make reservations at a BBIC Member Inn closest to the festival featuring your favorite musical tastes. Please feel free to contact us for more information or to answer any questions you may have.